AS WE ATTEMPT OUR HAND AT BLOGGING, BEAR WITH US...
WHAT WE HAVE TO SAY IS MINIMAL, BUT WE DESIRE TO SHARE WHAT THE LORD IS DOING IN AND AROUND US.

WE ARE:
KEVIN, SUSAN, SKYLA, KALI, JESSICA, AND JOSIAH BRUNS

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

3 Weeks Later


It has almost been three weeks since my last post. Let me try to recap those for you...

On March 7th our daughter, Skyla-pictured on the left, turned 14 years old. Man, I know you have all heard this before and many of you have said this yourselves, but here goes...It just seems like yesterday that she was just a baby. We are blessed to have her as part of our family. She is a joy (most of the time) and I praise the Lord for her (all the time). I also pray that, as her parent, I don't ruin her - such responsibility. Happy Birthday Skyla!

That first week, some of the missionaries we work with left the country on a, much needed, ten day break. That week was a challenge and a blessing for us. A 40 foot container, packed from wall to wall and ceiling to floor, with relief supplies that many of you donated, arrived. I believe it arrived on the afternoon of Tuesday, March 9th. We had until Friday to have it emptied and ready for pickup. That was fun. It was like a combination of Christmas and working at a Good Will Store. If you have ever helped clean out those drop boxes at a Good Will store or second hand store, you know what I mean by that. Unpacking and sorting was hard work, fun, and overwhelming. It was such a blessing to see how God, and the people He chose, provided for the earthquake relief. There were boxes and boxes of clothes, food, hygiene supplies, and medical supplies, as well as some generators and other machinery. We piled some in a trailer on our property and the rest in our shop. There were boxes everywhere.

The second week came and proved to be just as busy. The other missionaries returned to Haiti. We praise the Lord for that. Eight extra hands and four extra brains carry the load better. Thank you Haiti Global Team! Sorting the supplies, organizing distribution, and handing out newly arrived relief supplies was a joy. Excitement and hope shone way on the faces of those who came to pickup "Manna from Heaven."

This month has flown by. This week we have been working on getting our Visa paperwork done, obtaining our Haitian Id Cards and our Haitian Driver's Licenses. Yesterday, we went to the immigration office. I think there was around 200 Haitians standing outside the office. The front of the building was barricaded and manned by Haitian Police. There was pushing and shoving...more police called in...police batons pulled out...and angry people. Unfortunately, our white skin allowed us to get in. Don't get me wrong, it was a blessing to not have to wait in those long lines, but on the other hand we cut in front of so many. Now, it seemed that we needed a different office than they did, but just the same, I wondered if I would get stoned when I returned to the mob on the street. Praise the Lord, we didn't get stoned and, to my knowledge, I don't even remember getting dirty looks.

Clinic has been going well. Many of our patients from the earthquake have healed. We are seeing more sickness, wounds, and minor burns now. I pray we don't have any more serious burns for a while.

We are attempting to get our schools up and running by April 5th. There will be many hurdles to overcome, but pray that it is His will and we are able to open. The children are restless and beginning to cause trouble. Just the other day I did not have time to talk with a boy that was about 10 years old and I told him I would talk with him later. He proceeded to call me cheap in Creole and began yelling and fussing at our clinic door. They are bored, want everything, and don't have parental supervision. What a combination. Please lift them up in prayer as well as me (Susan). I found myself frustrated with him and not wanting to help him or even see him later in the day. I am to love others - I pray that it is Jesus that shines through me...not self.

Tomorrow is our second daughter, Kali's, thirteenth birthday. She is turning into such a wonderful young lady. As I mentioned before...It seems like yesterday she was just a baby. That's her picture on right, isn't she cute. Again, we will need many prayers to make it through these teen years and then on to adulthood. Such precious times and I have found that bringing them (the children) to Haiti has been a blessing for our mother-daughter relationship. I pray that the Lord blesses them for their obedience and cooperation, as well as strengthens their relationship with Him each and every day. Happy Birthday Kali!
Thank you Jesus!

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to let you know that your blogs have really spoke to me...what you and your family are doing in Haiti is amazing! More importantly what God is doing through your family in Haiti is just awesome!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete