AS WE ATTEMPT OUR HAND AT BLOGGING, BEAR WITH US...
WHAT WE HAVE TO SAY IS MINIMAL, BUT WE DESIRE TO SHARE WHAT THE LORD IS DOING IN AND AROUND US.

WE ARE:
KEVIN, SUSAN, SKYLA, KALI, JESSICA, AND JOSIAH BRUNS

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Night Shift

Samaritan's Purse (SP) and the Haitian Academy needed a nurse Saturday to pull night shift with the Cholera patients that came from a nearby village.  I was willing. I told Dr. Vlad (the Haitian doctor who came to ask if I would work), I am out of practice on initiating an IV, but I can clean poop and change IV fluids till the cows come home...

That is what I did, cleaned poop (allot of it) and kept an eye on IV fluids and IV sites.  SP made these really cool beds with a hole cut out so, with a bucket underneath the bed, the patients don't have to travel anywhere to potty. Love it. It worked much better than the bed pan thing.

We started with three patients, one went home before 9 p.m. (didn't have cholera - just diarrhea), and another came in about 8:30 a.m. He was so weak it took two men to carry him. By the grace of God we got his IV going on the first try and started his antibiotics soon there after.

It was a blessing to be able to help. I also realized that I missed the night shift (slightly).  I left there about 9:10 a.m. and walked home.  I threw all of my clothes and shoes in the washer with bleach and soap, showered and was off to bed to sleep for a few hours. Fortunately, the sky was cloudy and it wasn't hot in the room, so I slept like a baby. Thanks Lord for the cooler weather.

1 comment:

  1. Susan,

    We talked to Kevin last night! We were so glad to hear his voice. He told us about how busy you all had been. We've been working hard on our Haiti Fundraiser we are going to host on New Year's Eve. Hopefully we will raise enough funds for the next 6 wells! Please keep this event in your prayers.

    We are praying for you all and the people of Haiti as always, every day! Tell Jessi we are so thrilled to hear the news and give everyone our love. Hope to see y'all in December. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete