AS WE ATTEMPT OUR HAND AT BLOGGING, BEAR WITH US...
WHAT WE HAVE TO SAY IS MINIMAL, BUT WE DESIRE TO SHARE WHAT THE LORD IS DOING IN AND AROUND US.

WE ARE:
KEVIN, SUSAN, SKYLA, KALI, JESSICA, AND JOSIAH BRUNS

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Calm before...

The Cholera outbreak here in Haiti is slowing down.  We are enjoying the calming state that this illness is in. I was told today that usually with Cholera, there is a decline in cases and then a spike again.  I pray that there is no spike this time.  I pray this time is different. You know, Haiti is different from most countries (in my opinion) and so I pray that it is different in this case and there will not be another spike in this illness.

I have also been told that you cannot get rid of Cholera in the rivers. Haiti will need to learn to live with Cholera in its water source. That means that the hygiene practices we are teaching need to become a way of life for everyone. Please pray that the people here would take hold of that and adjust quickly. I have also been told that the body can build an immunity to Cholera. Pray that this will happen quickly for the people.

Haiti is able to over come this obstacle and survive this illness. I truly believe this. I believe that God is able to show favor upon the nation and rescue us from Cholera. That is my pray in conjunction with God being glorified in this. I pray nothing or no one takes the glory from God.

Saying all of that brings me to our family situation. I don't believe, at this time, we will try and take the family out of Haiti. Cholera will need to become a way of life, not only for the Haitian people, but also for those of us that choose to live here. Now, if the situation changes, we may reevaluate our plan.

The children seem to be okay with this. Kali had been complaining of some belly pain (I think due to stress), but she told me today that her belly hasn't hurt at all today.  PTL! I can remember when I was a child, going through tests and having to drink Maalox often to help with a sensitive stomach. Yuck, but I also know that I have learned to deal with some stressors of life - with the Lord's help. I pray this also for Kali and the rest of our family, that we learn to deal with the stressors of life in a positive way and allow the Lord to be our strength, wisdom, and source.

We take little things in life for granted like running water and flushing toilets. This is where our problem in Haiti comes in. Running water is often the river and flushing toilets are often a bucket or a hole in the ground (although we have seen it just about everywhere). Cholera is transferred through water, feces, and flies. Pray we can teach better practices without freaking people out and causing panic.

We love you all.  God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment